First Commissioner for Resources Safety and Health annual report tabled in Queensland Parliament
The first annual report of the Commissioner for Resources Safety and Health has today been tabled in the Queensland Parliament by the Minister for Resources Scott Stewart.
The report outlines the operations of the Commissioner for the 2020–21 financial year in the performance of the Commissioner’s functions.
In 2020–21, the Commissioner completed a range of projects and activities that were aligned to the four strategic objectives under the Commissioner for Resources Safety and Health strategic plan 2020–25:
- advise the Minister on matters related to safety and health in the resources sector
- promote and protect safety and health in the resources sector
- monitor and review the performance of Resources Safety and Health Queensland
- establish an independent, impartial and accountable organisation.
Significant achievements included:
- establishing a Monitor and review framework for oversight of Resources Safety and Health Queensland
- establishing a project to review Resources Safety and Health Queensland’s implementation progress of the recommendations directed at the regulator from Dr Sean Brady’s Review of all fatal accidents in Queensland mines and quarries from 2000 to 2019
- implementing a project in the quarrying industry to benchmark the adoption of the principles of high reliability organisations
- chairing and providing the necessary resources to assist the safety and health advisory committees in fulfilling their advisory functions to the Minister and achieving their five-year strategic plans
- supporting the Queensland Resources Council to implement a project in the mining industry to benchmark the adoption of the principles of high reliability organisations
- continuing to improve on engagement and communication platforms with existing stakeholders—including peak bodies, government departments, unions, workers, and mining and quarrying companies—as well as forming new relationships with petroleum and gas and explosives industry stakeholders.
In addition to the Commissioner’s annual report, the Minister also tabled the annual reports for the two safety and health advisory committees.
The annual reports of the Commissioner for Resources Safety and Health, Coal Mining Safety and Health Advisory Committee and the Mining Safety and Health Advisory Committee are available here—www.commissioner.rshq.qld.gov.au/news-publications/publications.
Last updated: 29 Mar 2022